Kids can have fun being active and eating right, and parents and caregivers can set a great example for the whole family by creating a healthy environment at home, setting kids up for a lifetime of healthful eating.
Learn how your family can shop strategically, cook healthful foods and eat nutritious meals and snacks this Kids Eat Right Month® and beyond:
- Move every day! Kids need 60 minutes of moderate to vigorous physical activity each day.
- When possible, enjoy family meals together for an opportunity to bond and embrace healthful habits as a family.
- Get active as a family. Take a walk together after dinner, and plan fun activities every week such as a family bike ride.
- Get children involved in planning and cooking healthful meals together. When kids are involved in planning and preparing nutritious meals (with age-appropriate tasks), they are more likely to try new foods, and also will have a greater understanding of nutritious, healthful foods that will benefit them for a lifetime. Try these nutritious recipes for meals and snacks throughout the day.
- To build an eating plan tailored to your family's unique needs and lifestyle, meet with a registered dietitian nutritionist in your area. Start by searching the Academy's Find a Nutrition Expert database.
- Follow Kids Eat Right on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and Pinterest for more tips, recipes and ways to celebrate throughout August! Use the hashtag #KERmonth to connect with others who are celebrating.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!