Food Security and Sustainability
These creamy squares will have your kids gobbling up their greens. Eat them as a side or snack.
20 ounces frozen chopped spinach, thawed
3 large eggs
1 cup fat-free milk
1 cup white whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1½ cups (6 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
½ cup grated Parmesan cheese
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray a 13-by-9-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Place chopped spinach in a colander set over a sink or large bowl. Squeeze out as much excess water in spinach as possible. Set aside.
- Whisk together eggs and milk in a medium bowl. Add flour and baking powder to egg mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add cheeses and spinach. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer mixture to prepared baking dish, spreading evenly.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until firm and edges are golden brown.
- Let cool 20 minutes. Slice into 24 squares.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serving size: 1 2-by-2-inch square
Calories: 73; Total fat: 3g; Saturated fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 31mg; Sodium: 125mg; Carbohydrates: 6g; Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 1g; Protein: 5g; Potassium: N/A; Phosphorus: N/A
Emily Cooper, RD, LD, is a New Hampshire-based dietitian. She is the author of the blog, sinfulnutrition.com.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!