Food Security and Sustainability
Baked nuggets with a satisfying crunch, this recipe is sure to be your child's favorite way to eat broccoli.
2 cups packed fresh broccoli, finely chopped
3 eggs, whisked
¾ cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
½ teaspoon dried oregano
¼ teaspoon garlic powder
¼ teaspoon salt
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- Place broccoli plus one cup of water in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 2½ minutes — broccoli should be tender but not mushy. Depending on the strength of the microwave, cooking time may need to be increased by 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Once broccoli is cooked, remove and drain well. Broccoli should be finely chopped so if you need to chop the broccoli more, do so here. Place chopped broccoli in a large bowl and add in the whisked eggs, cheese, breadcrumbs, oregano, garlic powder and salt. Use a wooden spoon or your hands to combine well. Mixture should stick together without much effort.
- Shape into nuggets and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. If you are having a hard time forming into nuggets, add in more breadcrumbs, one tablespoon at a time.
- Place formed nuggets on a baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Flip once and bake for an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve as is or with your favorite dip.
- If you choose to substitute frozen broccoli for fresh be sure to thaw and drain excess water. Nuggets should be crunchy, not soggy.
Serving size: 6 nuggets
Calories: 203; Total fat: 9g; Saturated fat: 4g; Cholesterol: 151mg; Sodium: 508mg; Carbohydrates: 17g; Fiber: 2g; Sugars: 2g; Protein: 14g; Potassium: 230mg; Phosphorus: 255mg
Alexandra Caspero, MA, RD, is owner of Delicious Knowledge in Sacramento, Calif.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!