Food Security and Sustainability
Popular in many seaside regions of Latin America, ceviche (pronounced seh-VEE-cheh) is enjoyed as a light lunch or appetizer — and is a flavorful way to put heart-healthy seafood on your menu. Traditionally prepared with very fresh raw fish that's been "cooked" in the acid of lime juice, ceviche made with canned tuna is safe to eat. And, the tomatillos offer a unique citrus-like flavor to the palate. If you prefer, you can substitute tomatoes. Tip: Serve with crisp plantain chips, called chifles in South America.
12 ounces albacore tuna, packed in water, drained
6 tablespoons fresh lime juice, divided
3 tomatillos, husks removed, rinsed, diced (about ½ cup)
¾ cup diced red bell pepper
¼ cup diced onion
1 small jalapeño, seeds removed, minced
¼ cup minced fresh cilantro or parsley
1 teaspoon fresh oregano or ¼ teaspoon dry oregano
2 tablespoons olive oil
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 Bibb lettuce leaves
Lime wedges, for garnish
Cilantro sprigs, for garnish
6 ounces plantain chips or tortilla chips
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Cover tuna with 4 tablespoons lime juice in a medium bowl; toss gently with a fork to flake tuna.
- Combine tomatillos, red pepper, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, oregano and olive oil in a separate bowl. Mix to blend ingredients. Add to tuna and toss gently.
- Chill for about 30 minutes to blend the flavors.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Peel avocado, remove pit and cut into 6 slices. Brush avocado slices with remaining 2 tablespoons lime juice to prevent browning.
- Arrange the tuna mixture with avocado slices in lettuce leaves (cups). Garnish with lime wedges and cilantro sprigs.
- Serve with plantain chips or tortilla chips.
Tomatillos can be substituted with 1 small tomato, chopped.
Calories: 340; Calories from fat: 180; Total fat: 21g; Saturated fat: 3; Trans fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 25mg; Sodium 85mg; Total carbohydrate: 24g; Dietary fiber: 5g; Sugars: 2g; Protein: 16g
*with plantain chips
Roberta Duyff, MS, RD, FAND, is author of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Complete Food and Nutrition Guide and 365 Days of Healthy Eating.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!