Food Security and Sustainability
Think your family doesn't like Brussels sprouts? Just wait! Slice them extra thin and toss with pasta and walnut vinaigrette for a tasty meal everyone will enjoy.
6 ounces uncooked whole-grain linguine or spaghetti noodles
1½ pounds Brussels sprouts, thinly sliced/shaved (about 8 cups)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
¼ cup walnuts, toasted
4 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons fresh chives
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Salt/pepper, to taste
½ cup walnuts, toasted
1-2 lemons, juiced
Salt, to taste
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Cook pasta according to directions.
- In food processor, combine vinaigrette ingredients until smooth.
- In skillet, sauté Brussels sprouts in olive oil and garlic for 12 to 15 minutes, until tender and caramelized. Pour in vinaigrette, toss and take off heat.
- Combine cooked and drained pasta with Brussels sprout-vinaigrette mixture.
- Top with toasted walnuts, lemon juice and salt.
Serving size: 3 Cups
Calories: 412; Total Fat: 19g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 212mg; Total Carbohydrate: 53g; Dietary Fiber: 8g; Sugars: 6g; Protein: 16g; Vitamin A: 25%; Vitamin C: 250%; Calcium: 10%; Iron: 25%.
Dawn Jackson Blatner, RDN, CSSD, is a registered dietitian nutritionist and author.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!