A nourishing vegan meal is made in one skillet for a quick weeknight supper.
SERVING SIZE: 1¼ cups (291 grams)
PREP TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 27 minutes
- ½ cup brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon (15 milliliters) light olive oil
- ½ cup onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 2 cups dry whole-wheat penne pasta
- 1½ cups (360 milliliters) canned crushed tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup frozen kale, chopped
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, for garnish
- Rinse lentils in a fine mesh strainer and remove any debris.
- Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat for 1 minute. Add onions and cook 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- To the pan, add lentils, pasta, crushed tomatoes, 2½ cups (600 milliliters) water, salt, black pepper, oregano and basil. Stir to combine, then cover with a lid and reduce heat to low. Set a timer for 18 minutes.
- After the timer goes off, lift the lid and place the frozen kale on top of the mixture. Replace the lid and cook for another 4 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Serve in bowls and top evenly with chopped walnuts and parsley.
NUTRITION PER SERVING: 217 calories, 6g total fat, 1g saturated fat, 0mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 5g sugar, 9g protein, 442mg potassium, 188mg phosphorus
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!