Food Security and Sustainability
Make a great meatless meal with broccoli, pasta and freshly shredded Parmesan cheese. It's kid-friendly, packed with vitamins and minerals, and bursting with layers of rich flavor.
8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 16-ounce package frozen broccoli florets, thawed
1 16-ounce can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
1 medium-size red bell pepper, thinly sliced; slices halved
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup freshly grated or shredded Parmesan cheese
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Cook the pasta in boiling salted water according to the package directions.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over low heat.
- Add the garlic and sauté for 5 minutes, allowing the flavors to fully release into the oil.
- Add the broccoli, beans, pepper, 3 tablespoons water and salt.
- Cover and adjust heat to medium. Steam, stirring occasionally, 5 to 7 minutes, or until the broccoli is hot and the pepper is crisp tender.
- Toss the pasta with the vegetables. Top with Parmesan cheese and fresh pepper.
- For a spicier flavor, add more garlic and/or pepper.
- Substitute any vegetables your children (or you) like, varying cooking time as needed.
Serving size: 1 Cup
Calories: 265; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 2mg; Sodium: 215mg; Total Carbohydrate: 41g; Dietary Fiber: 7g; Protein: 12g
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!