Food Security and Sustainability
For this outstanding pizza dough, we went back to basics and made our own tasty salt-free dough that we all love! We grill our pizza dough, which is super easy and makes it crunchy. We hope you will make this recipe every week in your home for pizza night by using a variety of toppings to make your pizza colorful, creative and YUM!
2 cups all-purpose, unbleached flour
1½ cups whole-wheat flour + extra flour to dust
2 teaspoons baking powder, low sodium
1 tablespoon honey
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1½ cups water
Canola cooking oil spray
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flours and baking powder. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add 1 tablespoon honey, 2 tablespoons olive oil and 1½ cups water.
- Fold ingredients together with a large spoon, making sure all flour is off the sides of the bowl.
- Once completely combined, turn dough out onto a clean, flour-dusted surface and knead dough for 5-10 minutes, until it becomes pliable. Add flour as needed to keep dough from sticking to hands and work surface.
- Wrap dough tightly in plastic wrap and place in refrigerator to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Dust the surface with whole-wheat flour before rolling out the dough.
- Heat a grill pan on medium heat and spray canola oil to coat pan. Grill pizza for 4 minutes on each side, then add toppings and let sit on grill to warm everything up (and melt cheese if used). Then, serve.
Serving size: 3 ounces
Stacey Antine, MS, RD, is founder of HealthBarn USA.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!