Food Security and Sustainability
Who doesn't love comfort food like Mac 'n Cheese? This recipe has a surprise ingredient to boost its nutritional content!
8 ounces whole-grain macaroni noodles, uncooked
1 tablespoon butter spread
1 tablespoon whole-wheat flour
10 ounce bag (2 cups) cubed frozen butternut squash, thawed
2 ounces (½ cup packed) reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
Sea salt, to taste
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Boil noodles according to directions. Drain and reserve 2 cups pasta water.
- In pot over medium heat, cook butter spread with flour for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Whisk in 1 cup pasta water.
- Add squash and cook/mash until smooth. (Note: Add more pasta water as needed for a smooth cheese-like consistency.)
- Add cheese and stir until melted.
- Fold in cooked noodles until combined and season with salt.
Nutrition InformationServing size: 1 cup
Calories: 300; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 2.5g; Trans Fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 10mg; Sodium: 290mg; Total Carbohydrate: 53g; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugars: 2g; Protein: 13g.
Dawn Jackson Blatner, RDN, CSSD, is a registered dietitian nutritionist and author.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!