Food Security and Sustainability
Creamy, comforting Shepherd's Pie is a time-tested family favorite. This lighter version of the classic recipe contains less fat and more fiber!
1½ pounds lean ground beef (90% lean or higher)
2 large carrots, peeled and shredded (about 2 cups)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
One 15-ounce can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
One 14½-ounce can all-natural tomato soup
1½ cups shredded reduced-fat Cheddar cheese
1 cup frozen corn kernels, thawed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 cups mashed potatoes
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly oil or coat a 9 x 13-inch baking pan or dish with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
- Place a large Dutch oven or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, carrots, garlic powder, and onion powder and cook, breaking up the large pieces, until the meat is no longer pink and the carrots are tender, about 5 minutes. Drain excess fat.
- Stir in the beans, tomato soup, cheese, and corn. Simmer until heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Arrange the meat mixture evenly in the prepared pan. Spread the mashed potatoes evenly on top, and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese.
- Bake until the meat mixture starts to bubble and the potatoes are heated through, about 15 minutes. Turn the oven to broil and broil until the top turns golden brown, 2 to 4 minutes.
Serving size: 1 slice
Calories: 370; Total Fat: 10; Saturated Fat: 5g; Sodium: 520mg; Total Carbohydrates: 41g; Protein: 7g.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!