Food Security and Sustainability
In this Greek-inspired recipe, red potatoes, carrots and parsnips are roasted alongside chicken with olive oil and Greek seasoning. Serve alongside a leafy green salad topped with feta, tomatoes and Kalamata olives.
Vegetable oil cooking spray
1 whole chicken
6 red potatoes, scrubbed (peel on)
2 carrots, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
2 parsnips, peeled and sliced in half lengthwise
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Greek seasoning
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Preheat oven to 400ºF. Coat the roasting pan with the cooking spray. Place the chicken in the pan.
- Toss the potatoes, carrots and parsnips with the olive oil, and then place them in the roasting pan around the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken and vegetables with Greek seasoning.
- Bake for 10 minutes and then lower the heat to 350ºF.
- Continue to bake until the chicken temperature is 165ºF (test with cooking thermometer near chicken thigh), approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Baste the chicken and vegetables at least twice with the cooking juices. Remove and discard the chicken skin. Serve hot.
To intensify the flavor, sprinkle 1 tablespoon of Greek seasoning inside the chicken.
Serving size: 4 ounces cooked chicken, 1¼ cups vegetables
Calories: 300; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 80mg; Sodium: 115mg; Total Carbohydrate: 31g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Protein: 29g.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!