Food Security and Sustainability
Often considered the national dish of South Africa, bobotie is a curried beef casserole that comes from its immigrant influences, especially from those of Malay descent. Made with lean ground beef, lamb or a combination and topped with an egg-milk custard, this meatloaf-like dish gets its fragrant aroma, distinct flavor and texture from fruit, almonds and curry spices. Serve with chutney as a condiment and with basmati rice on the side.
2 pounds lean ground beef
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 cup soft whole-wheat breadcrumbs
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 tart apple, cored and chopped in ½-inch pieces
½ cup slivered almonds, toasted
½ cup (about 3 ounces) chopped, dried apricots
⅓ cup golden raisins
1 large egg, slightly beaten
¼ cup low-fat or fat-free milk
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
cup low-fat or fat-free milk
2 large eggs, slightly beaten
½ teaspoon ground bay leaf
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- Combine beef with garlic, curry powder, turmeric, salt and black pepper in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Add breadcrumbs, onion, apple, almonds, apricots, raisins, egg, milk, lemon juice and lemon peel. Mix until ingredients are well blended.
- Coat a 12-by-7½-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the beef mixture to the baking dish, leveling to make the surface flat. Cover with foil. Bake for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the topping by combining milk, eggs and bay leaf in a small bowl. Whisk together. Set side.
- After the casserole has baked for 30 minutes, remove the foil. Pour the topping over the casserole. Bake for another 25 to 30 minutes until the casserole is cooked to an internal temperature of 160ºF and the topping is golden brown and the eggs are set.
Calories: 350; Calories from fat: 120; Total fat: 13g; Saturated fat: 3.5g; Trans fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 150mg; Sodium: 280mg; Total carbohydrate: 28g; Dietary fiber: 4g; Sugars: 14g; Protein: 32g
Roberta Duyff, MS, RD, FAND, is author of Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics Complete Food and Nutrition Guide and 365 Days of Healthy Eating.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!