2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup short grain brown rice, dry
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
¼ teaspoon saffron
1 pound shrimp, raw
½ cup grated Parmesan, divided
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion and garlic. Add rice and cook quickly for 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Add ½ cup vegetable broth, rosemary, parsley and saffron. Stir well, cover and gently simmer.
- Add another ½ cup of broth as liquid is absorbed. Continue with remaining broth until it's all used. Rice should be tender after cooking for about 30 minutes. Use additional broth if needed.
- While waiting for the rice to cook, bring one quart of water to a boil. Cook shrimp until pink. Drain and reserve.
- Just before the rice is done, add ¼ cup cheese. When cheese is melted through, remove from heat. Add cooked shrimp to rice. Toss until combined.
- Top with remaining cheese and serve.
Nutrition InformationServing size: 1 cup
Calories: 300; Total Fat: 9g: Saturated Fat 2g; Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol: 120mg; Sodium: 330mg; Total Carbohydrate: 29g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugars: 1g; Protein: 22g;
Stacey Antine, MS, RD, is founder of HealthBarn USA.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!