Food Security and Sustainability
These soft and chewy granola-like bars make a perfect dessert and feature kamut, an ancient whole grain.
2 cups puffed kamut cereal
2 cups quick oats
½ cup dried cranberries, chopped
½ cup pecans, chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon brown rice syrup
¼ cup dark chocolate chips
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Lightly grease a 9-by-11-inch casserole dish or baking pan. Place kamut cereal in a large, re-sealable plastic bag and close seal. Using a rolling pin, pound cereal until broken into small pieces. Combine kamut cereal, oats, cranberries and pecans in a large bowl.
- Place butter, brown sugar and brown rice syrup in a small, microwave-safe bowl. Heat in microwave for 1 minute and 15 seconds. Mixture should be bubbling slightly when removed from microwave.
- Stir mixture to incorporate all ingredients, then immediately pour over dry ingredients. Add in chocolate chips and mix together.
- Pour mixture into greased dish and firmly press ingredients into the pan with the back of spatula or with your hands.
- Let sit for at least 2 hours at room temperature. Cut into 18 bars.
Serving size: 1 bar
Calories: 137; Total fat: 6g; Saturated fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 7mg; Sodium: 11mg; Carbohydrates: 20g; Fiber: 2g; Sugars: 9g; Protein: 2g; Potassium: N/A; Phosphorus: N/A
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!