Food Security and Sustainability
So much more than a fruit salad, these kebabs are made with layered fruit, grilled and sweetened with honey and cinnamon. This recipe is perfect for a picnic or potluck.
4 cups assorted cubed fruit
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 tablespoons honey
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Preheat a grill or grill pan to medium-hot.
- Thread fruit cubes evenly onto the skewers, alternating the fruit varieties.
- In a small bowl, mix together honey, vanilla extract and ground cinnamon.
- Lightly brush the kebobs with oil and place on the grill. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes per side, basting with the honey mixture until you see grill marks. Remove from grill and brush with any remaining honey. Serve warm.
Serving size: 2 kebabs
Calories: 89; Total fat: 2g; Saturated fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 1mg; Carbohydrates: 18g; Fiber: 1g; Sugars: 15g; Protein: 1g; Potassium: 142mg; Phosphorus: 13mg
- Some of the best fruits for grilling include pineapple, peaches, plums, apricots and watermelon.
- If using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them for at least 2 hours before grilling.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!