Allergies and Intolerances
This chocolate-laced banana bread is a comfort food made healthier with whole-grain flour. Serve for breakfast or dessert.
Vegetable oil cooking spray
4 large bananas, peeled
¼ cup canola oil
½ cup non-fat yogurt
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 ½ cups whole-wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar or spoonable sugar substitute
1 teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup mini-chocolate chips
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Preheat oven to 350º F. Coat an 8-or 9-inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
- Mash the bananas with a fork. Combine with oil, yogurt, egg and vanilla; mix well and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix the flours, sugar or sugar substitute, baking soda, and salt; mix well.
- Combine the banana mixture with the flour mixture and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake a 9-inch pan for 45 minutes and an 8-inch pan for about 52 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in the pan 10 minutes; remove from pan.
- Cool, slice and wrap each slice individually; freeze. To serve, thaw at room temperature or toast frozen.
Serving size: 1 slice
Calories: 250; Total Fat: 8g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 20mg; Sodium: 120mg; Total Carbohydrate: 44g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Protein: 5g.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!