Away from Home
Who doesn't love a great tasting carrot cake? We had fun creating a delicious carrot cake muffin that's loaded with nutritious ingredients. This grab-and-go muffin makes the ultimate breakfast. It's loaded with whole wheat flour that contains insoluble fiber; flaxseeds that are high in omega-3 fatty acids; and carrots rich in antioxidants.
Olive oil spray (or canola oil spray)
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup ground flaxseeds
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt
¾ cup calcium-fortified 100% pure orange juice
½ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 ½ cups carrots, grated
½ cup coconut, grated
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C); spray muffin pan with cooking oil spray.
- Combine flour, flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, cinnamon and sea salt in a bowl, and mix.
- Add egg, orange juice and applesauce to the bowl, and mix thoroughly.
- Fold in carrots and coconut until blended.
- Spoon mixture into muffin tins, filling until ⅔ full.
- Bake for approximately 20 minutes, or until browned.
- Cool and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 muffin
Calories: 160; Total Fat: 4.5g; Saturated Fat: 2.5g; Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol: 25mg; Sodium: 170mg: Total Carbohydrate: 26g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugars: 4g; Protein: 5g; Vitamin A: 60%; Vitamin C: 15%; Calcium: 8%; Iron: 10%.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!