This version of French toast uses whole-wheat bread and fat-free milk for a healthier option. Enjoy the traditional way or chop into sticks for dunking!
2 large eggs
½ cup fat-free milk
½ teaspoon vanilla
1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon, or to taste
6 slices whole-wheat bread
Maple syrup or sliced fresh fruit (optional)
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Thoroughly mix eggs, milk, vanilla and cinnamon.
- Dip both sides of the bread slices, one at a time, into egg mixture. Re-dip if necessary until all of the egg mixture is absorbed into the bread.
- Spray a nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat.
- Place dipped bread slices on heated skillet. Cook 2 to 3 minutes per side or until both sides are golden brown.
- Drizzle with maple syrup or top with sliced fresh fruit (optional).
- Serve warm.
Serving size: 1 slice
Calories: 123; Total Fat: 2.3g; Saturated Fat: 0.6g; Cholesterol: 61mg; Sodium: 189mg; Total Carbohydrate: 16.2g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Protein: 8.4g.
Find a Nutrition Expert
Looking for credible nutrition information and recommendations? The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics' network of credentialed food and nutrition practitioners are ready to help!