Neighborhood and faith-based organizations are well-positioned to initiate and coordinate activities that encourage healthy living and well-being. Trusted leaders in communities and congregations can empower families and communities to make better choices to improve the health of our children. If you want to make a difference in your community, encourage your community leaders and groups to take action:
- Invite a registered dietitian nutritionist to host nutrition education classes for your group or faith community.
- Announce Kids Eat Right Month™ in your newsletter or on your website.
- Promote Kids Eat Right Month™ activities to your local media.
- Grow healthy food for your community by starting a garden.
- Help ensure that kids in your community have access to nutritious meals when school is out by hosting a Summer Food Service Program, providing free meals to help low-income areas get the food they need to grow into healthy adults.
- Host a weekly exercise activity for your community or congregation.
- Use this guide and template to contact your mayor or governor to request a proclamation.
- Follow Kids Eat Right on Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Pinterest and Google+.