Stir-fry — often associated with Asian cooking — is frying small pieces of food quickly over high heat in a large skillet or wok, stirring constantly. Not only is stir-frying a lower fat cooking method, it also helps fresh vegetables retain their nutrient-rich benefits, bright colors and crisp textures.
1 pound fresh Broccolini
2 medium carrots
2 tablespoons canola oil
1 tablespoon minced peeled ginger root
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups (6 ounces) fresh snow peas, ends trimmed, strings removed, or 1 (6-ounce) package frozen snow peas, thawed
1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms
2 green onions, cut in 2-inch pieces
½ cup water
2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon rice wine (sake), optional
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons chopped cashew nuts
- Cut the Broccolini tops in florets; set aside. Cut the Broccolini stalks and carrots in matchsticks.
- Heat the oil in a wok or large non-stick skillet over high heat.
- Add the Broccolini stalks, carrots, ginger root and garlic. Stir-fry (or cook and stir continuously) for 1 minute.
- Add the Broccolini florets, snow peas, mushrooms and green onions. Toss gently to mix ingredients.
- Combine the water, soy sauce, rice wine, if desired, and sugar in a small bowl. Stir into the vegetable mixture. Cover; cook for about 2 minutes, until vegetables are fork tender. Remove from heat.
- Drizzle the sesame oil over vegetables; toss gently.
- To serve, sprinkle with cashew nuts.
- If Broccolini is not available, substitute 1 pound fresh broccoli with the woody stems removed.
- Adding cubes of firm tofu or tempeh adds protein and turns stir-fried vegetables into a vegetarian main dish.
- In place of any of these vegetables — or in addition to them — use sliced bell peppers, carrots, green beans, summer squash or zucchini. Dried Chinese mushrooms (soaked) or portobello mushrooms can be used in place of shiitake mushrooms.
Serving size: ¾ cup
Calories: 130; Calories from fat: 70; Total fat: 7g; Saturated fat: 1g; Trans fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 160mg; Total carbohydrates: 12g; Dietary fiber: 3g; Sugars: 3g; Protein: 5g