Mashed sweet potatoes give these quesadillas a boost of flavor and nutrients.
2 small sweet potatoes
2 medium red, yellow or orange bell peppers, cut into ½-inch strips
1 medium yellow onion, cut into ½-inch strips
½ tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 (8-inch) whole-wheat tortillas
1 cup shredded pepper jack or cheddar cheese
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Heat oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Wash potatoes well. Wrap in aluminum foil and bake approximately 45 minutes or until easily pierced with a fork. Remove from oven. Unwrap potatoes; removed flesh from the skins and mash the flesh. Keep warm. (You can also microwave the potatoes to reduce cooking time. Wash the potatoes, pierce with a fork five to six times and microwave on high for 5 to 7 minutes depending on the size of the potato).
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onion, salt and pepper, and cook 10 to 12 minutes or until tender. Add garlic and sauté 2 more minutes. Remove from heat and keep warm.
- Coat a medium nonstick skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Add 1 tortilla to skillet and sprinkle with ¼ cup cheese. Heat until cheese begins to melt. Spread approximately ¼ of mashed potatoes over ½ of tortilla; top with ¼ of pepper and onion mixture (use slotted spoon for pepper and onion mixture to drain off excess moisture). Fold over tortilla and cook approximately 1 to 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove quesadilla from heat and keep warm.
- Repeat step four with additional 3 tortillas. Serve with tomato salsa and sour cream if desired.
Serving size: 1 quesadilla
Calories: 333; Total Fat: 11g; Saturated Fat: 6g; Cholesterol: 25mg; Sodium: 424mg; Total Carbohydrates: 47g; Protein: 14; Dietary Fiber: 6g; Sugars: 8g.