Sweet potatoes are high in vitamins A and C, and make a delicious addition to cornbread.Ingredients
2 ¼ cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
½ cup turbinado sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
1 ¾ cups low-fat buttermilk
1 cup mashed roasted sweet potato (about 1 large)
4 large eggs, lightly beaten
¼ cup butter, melted
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, baking soda and ginger in a large bowl, whisking to combine.
- In a medium bowl, combine buttermilk, sweet potato and eggs; whisk until smooth.
- Add sweet potato mixture to cornmeal mixture, and stir just until moistened. Then, stir in melted butter.
- Spoon batter into lightly greased muffin pans, filling about three-fourths full.
- Bake 18 to 22 minutes or until tops are golden brown. Cool in pan for 5 minutes.
Serving size: 1 muffin
Calories: 133; Total Fat: 3.2g; Saturated Fat: 1.6g; Cholesterol: 37mg; Sodium: 292mg; Total Carbohydrate: 22.7g; Fiber: 1g; Protein: 3.4g