Farro is an ancient whole grain, popular in Mediterranean and Middle Eastern cuisine, with a nutty flavor and satisfyingly chewy texture. Combined with roasted carrots and a lemony yogurt dressing, farro is an ideal base for this hearty vegetarian salad.
2 pounds of carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1½ teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon salt, divided
¾ teaspoon pepper, divided
1 cup uncooked farro
½ cup reduced-fat plain Greek yogurt
1½ teaspoons grated lemon rind
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cups fresh baby arugula
¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine carrots, 2 tablespoons olive oil, cumin, ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper on a large rimmed baking sheet; toss to coat. Spread carrots in a single layer.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until tender, stirring after 10 minutes.
- Cook farro according to package directions.
- Whisk together yogurt, remaining ¼ cup olive oil, lemon rind, lemon juice, garlic and remaining ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Combine farro, carrots and baby arugula in a large bowl; drizzle with yogurt mixture, tossing to coat. Sprinkle with walnuts.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Calories: 291; Total Fat: 16g; Saturated Fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 1mg; Sodium: 420mg; Carbohydrate: 33g; Dietary Fiber 7g; Protein: 7g