Ethiopians use this soft, spongy flatbread instead of utensils to scoop up stew or vegetables. It’s traditionally made with teff flour — a grain grown in Ethiopia. You can substitute buckwheat or wheat flour for teff, which can be hard to find.
Injera batter is usually prepared like sourdough; a small portion from each batch is saved and allowed to ferment. The fermented dough is then used in the new batter the next time injera is made. This recipe uses baking soda and club soda to produce the same bubbly effect.
2 cups teff or whole-wheat flour (a finely milled type, like whole-wheat pastry flour, works well)
1 cup unbleached white flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
2½ cups club soda (add up to an additional 1 cup for correct consistency*)
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Combine flour and baking soda in a large bowl. Add club soda; stir well to form a thin batter.
- Heat a 10- or 12-inch non-stick pan to high (a griddle can also be used). Brush lightly with oil.
- Using a large cup or ladle, pour ¼ cup of batter into pan. Beginning on the outside of the pan, pour the batter out in a circle around the edges until the center is filled. Quickly tilt the griddle back and forth to fill in any holes and to spread thinly and evenly (similar to making crepes).
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes until the surface is spongy and filled with tiny air bubbles. The edges will begin to curl when ready. Do not flip the bread. Instead, slide it off the griddle or out of the pan onto a large plate.
- Arrange the cooked injera around the outside edges of a large plate or platter so that the centers overlap. Serve immediately with a meat or vegetable stew placed in the middle of the platter.
- Batter consistency is very important. If it’s too thin, the bread will not bubble. If it’s too thick, it would need to be flipped to finish cooking. The best consistency is similar to thin pancake batter.
- For a gluten-free version of this recipe, use 2 cups teff flour and 1 cup rice flour. Follow the rest of the recipe as written.
Serving size: 2 ounces
Calories: 145; Total Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 70mg; Total Carbohydrate: 30g; Dietary Fiber: 4g; Sugars: 0g; Protein: 5g.