Most kids love pizza, so why not bring the dish to the table in a new way? This recipe for Pizza Hummus can be used as a dip or spread!
16-ounce can of chickpeas,
drained and rinsed
¼ cup tomato paste
¼ cup water
1 teaspoon dried oregano (or one tablespoon fresh oregano leaves, chopped)
1 teaspoon dried basil (or one tablespoon fresh basil leaves, chopped)
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper (optional)
1 clove of garlic, minced
¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and puree for 1 to 2 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- If hummus is too thick to spread on bread or dip vegetables in, thin it with water by adding one tablespoon at a time until you reach the desired consistency.
- Serve hummus as a dip for raw veggies and whole-grain crackers, or as a spread on your favorite sandwich or in a wrap.
- Store extra hummus in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- For a dairy-free and vegan version, substitute ¼ cup nutritional yeast for the ¼ cup Parmesan cheese.
Serving size: ¼ cup
Calories: 150; Total fat: 5g; Sat. fat: 1g; Chol.: 2mg; Sodium: 401mg; Carb.: 20g; Fiber 1g; Sugars: 2g; Protein 7g; Potassium: 210mg; Phosphorus: 95mg