Fire up the grill for a savory pizza on your patio or deck. In Italy, fire-roasted pizzas feature many regional, flavorful ingredients, sometimes topped with fresh herbs after they're baked. This vegetarian version with its grilled flavors offers a delicious way to enjoy fresh vegetables — eggplant, tomato and onion — on a whole-grain crust, topped with fresh basil.
1 medium eggplant, unpeeled, cut in ¾-inch thick slices
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 unbaked 12-inch whole-wheat or regular thin pizza crust
¼ cup pesto sauce
1 large tomato, sliced
½ small onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup sliced kalamata olives
2 ounces (½ cup) part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 ounce (¼ cup) Parmesan cheese, shredded; or feta cheese, crumbled
¼ cup fresh basil leaves
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Brush eggplant with olive oil. Grill over a medium-high fire for about 10 minutes until soft and cooked through, turning to brown evenly. Cool slightly.
- Place pizza crust on a baking pan. Spread pesto sauce evenly over crust. Arrange grilled eggplant, tomatoes, onion and olives on top. Sprinkle with cheese. Slide uncooked pizza on the grill. Lower the lid.
- Grill over indirect heat until the crust golden brown and the cheese melts, about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Just before serving, cut basil leaves into thin strips. Top pizza with basil.
- If you don't have a grill, or prefer to cook inside, use this alternative cooking method: Roast eggplant and bake pizza in a 425°F (218°C) oven.
Calories: 230; Calories from fat: 160; Total fat: 18g; Saturated fat: 4.5g; Trans fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 15mg; Sodium 300mg; Total carbohydrate: 12g; Dietary fiber: 5g; Sugars: 4g; Protein: 8g