There is no better way to showcase nature's bounty than in a strawberry pie. Check out a u-pick patch or farmers market for the most flavorful berries.
1 (9-inch) baked pie crust
5 cups (20 to 25 medium-sized) whole strawberries, washed and hulled, divided
⅔ cup sugar
3 tablespoons cornstarch
¾ cup cold water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 cup non-fat whipped topping
- Line the baked pie crust with the best-looking strawberries placed large end down. Reserve approximately 1 cup of strawberries to make glaze.
- For the glaze, crush remaining 1 cup of strawberries with a fork or in a food processor or blender.
- Combine crushed strawberries and sugar in a 2-quart saucepan. Slowly bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat; simmer 1 minute.
- Mix cold water and cornstarch until smooth; gradually add cornstarch mixture to hot strawberry mixture. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Boil and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat. Stir in the lemon juice; cool slightly.
- Spoon the glaze over berries. Gently shake the pan to evenly distribute the glaze. Refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Top each serving with whipped topping. Serve chilled.
- Hulling means removing the green leaves and stems from strawberries. Do this step just before using to keep strawberries at their freshest.
Serving size: 1 slice
Calories: 200; Total Fat: 6g; Saturated Fat: 1.5g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 110mg; Total Carbohydrate: 36g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Protein 1g