Start the day with a traditional Tex-Mex dish called migas. This version is quick and easy to make, even on busy mornings!
5 large eggs
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 green onions, sliced
2 cups (about 3 ounces) coarsely broken no-salt-added tortilla chips
½ cup mild salsa
½ cup low-fat shredded cheddar cheese
Garnish: 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro and extra shredded cheese
- In a bowl, combine eggs and salt; stir with a wire whisk and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add green onions and cook for 2 minutes or until they begin to soften.
- Add egg mixture to skillet and cook for 1 minute without stirring, until the edges of the eggs are set.
- Stir in tortilla chips and salsa; cook for 2 minutes or until tortilla chips begin to soften. At this point, the eggs' texture will resemble traditional scrambled eggs.
- Remove from heat and add cheese; stir until combined and cheese begins to melt. Sprinkle with cilantro and extra cheese, if desired.
- Nutrition information does not include garnishes.
- Reduce the sodium content of the dish by leaving out the added salt.
Serving Size: 1 cup
Calories: 262; Total fat: 15g; Sat. fat: 3.5g; Chol.: 235mg; Sodium: 696mg; Carb.: 17g; Fiber 2g; Sugars: 2g; Protein 14g; Potassium: 253mg; Phosphorus: 248mg