Cupcakes for breakfast? Yes, and they're made with zucchini! This breakfast treat will be sure to get the whole family up and energized to start their day.
Ingredients1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup agave nectar, divided
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup whole-wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
¼ cup flaxseed, ground
½ teaspoon baking powder, low sodium
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
½ teaspoon ground ginger
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line muffin cups with paper or silicone liners.
- Put grated zucchini in paper towels or a clean cloth and squeeze out as much water as possible. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, combine applesauce, vanilla extract, ¼ cup agave and stir thoroughly.
- Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, flaxseed, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and other spices, and mix well. Add cocoa and mix thoroughly.
- Add zucchini and stir thoroughly.
- Fill paper liners with chocolate zucchini batter to ¾ full. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of cupcake.
- Mix ¼ cup agave with ½ teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl. Before serving, drizzle agave mixture over cupcakes as icing and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 cupcake
Calories: 150; Total fat: 1.5g; Saturated fat: 0g; Trans fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 105mg; Total carbohydrate: 31g; Dietary fiber: 3g; Sugars 17g; Protein: 3g