This hearty, healthy and delicious dish can be a stand-alone breakfast or served with salad for lunch and dinner.
2 medium onions, cut into thin slices
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1½ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
¾ teaspoon finely ground black pepper, divided
1 pound skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch cubes
1 tablespoon fresh, finely chopped sage
4 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups peeled, cubed sweet potato
3 cups peeled, cubed butternut squash
2 tablespoons fresh, finely chopped rosemary
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Preheat oven to 425ºF (218ºC). Five minutes before roasting squash and sweet potatoes, put a nonstick baking pan in the oven.
- In a large frying pan over medium-low heat, heat the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil. When butter is melted, add the onions, ½ teaspoon kosher salt and ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper. Slowly cook over low heat, stirring every few minutes, for about 10 to 15 minutes, until onions are soft and slightly caramelized.
- Add the chicken, sage and garlic to the pan; continue to stir and cook for 15 minutes, until chicken is done and no longer pink. Drain chicken and onion mixture in a colander — do not rinse out the frying pan.
- Toss sweet potatoes, butternut squash, rosemary, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon finely ground black pepper and 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil in a large bowl. When nonstick pan has been heated in the oven for about 5 minutes, pour the sweet potato and squash mixture onto the pan. Evenly distribute mixture on pan.
- Place pan back in oven and roast for 15 minutes. Then, flip over cubes and roast for about 5 minutes more.
- In the same frying pan used to caramelize and cook the onions and chicken, turn the heat to high. Transfer the sweet potato and butternut squash cubes from the baking pan to the frying pan for 2 minutes, until browned in color in some spots.
- Add the drained chicken and onions and stir to combine; cook for 2 minutes more. Season to taste and serve.
Serving size: 1 cup of vegetables, 3 ounces of chicken
Calories: 473; Total fat: 20g; Saturated fat: 5g; Cholesterol: 112mg; Sodium: 821mg; Carbohydrates: 52g; Fiber: 8g; Sugars: 5g; Protein: 24g; Potassium: 1,237mg; Phosphorus: 304mg