This have-it-your-way chili can be made vegetarian, with ground turkey or with ground beef. Enjoy the slightly sweet flavor added by the carrot.
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 pound extra-lean ground beef or extra-lean ground turkey, or 1 10-ounce package frozen meatless crumbles, thawed
1 large onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 ribs celery, chopped
1 medium-size green bell pepper, chopped
1 medium-size red bell pepper, chopped
1 carrot, scrubbed and sliced thinly
1 15½-ounce can dark or light kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 14½-ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 6-ounce can no-salt-added tomato paste
2 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon ground oregano
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon black pepper
3 green onions, sliced thinly, optional
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro, optional
½ cup fat-free sour cream
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Combine the oil, meat (or turkey or meatless crumbles), onion and garlic in a large pot over medium heat.
- Cook and stir until the onion is wilted and the meat is lightly browned. About 6 to 8 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the optional ones and the sour cream. Stir well, cover and reduce heat; simmer gently for 20 minutes. Adjust the chili powder, oregano and black pepper to taste.
- Serve with green onions, cilantro and/or sour cream.
* Double the batch and freeze in individual portions or family-size batches.
Serving size: 1½ cups
Calories: 300; Total fat: 12g; Saturated fat: 4.5g; Cholesterol: 35mg; Sodium: 540mg; Carbohydrate: 28g; Dietary fiber: 8g; Protein: 23g