Mmm-mmm, good! You will love these gluten-free onion rings!
1 large onion
Gluten-free cooking spray or 2 teaspoons olive oil
1 cup gluten-free brown rice cracker crumbs
½ teaspoon paprika
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon black pepper
1 egg white
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Peel and cut the onion into ¼-inch slices and separate them into rings. Soak the rings in a large bowl of cold water for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (204°C). Spray a large baking sheet with cooking spray (or coat it with olive oil).
- Mix the cracker crumbs, paprika, salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Beat the egg and egg white together in a separate dish.
- Drain the onions and pat them dry with a paper towel. Dip the onion rings, a few at a time, into the egg, then into the crumbs. Place the onion rings on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes, until crisp and brown.
- Onion rings are delicious served with ketchup, or with a simple dipping sauce made from ½ cup mayonnaise, 2 tablespoons gluten-free chili sauce and 1 tablespoon pickle relish.
Serving size: 5 to 6 rings
Recipe from: Easy Gluten-Free; © 2010 Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, John Wiley & Sons, Inc.