These flavorful strips taste just like apple pie. While the cook time is long, the prep is minimal. Make them over the weekend to enjoy in lunches throughout the week.
4 cups peeled, chopped apples
½ cup water
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
¼ teaspoon ground cardamom (can use more nutmeg or cinnamon if you do not have cardamom)
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Wash, peel and chop apples. Place apples in a medium saucepan over medium heat and cover with water. Cover and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until apples are soft.
- Add in sugar and spices and let cook an additional 5 minutes until gooey and reduced. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- Place apple mixture into a blender and puree until smooth and no chunks remain. If you have an immersion blender, you can do this right in the saucepan.
- Preheat oven to 170°F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or non-stick baking mat. Use a spatula to spread the apple mixture into as thin and even a layer as possible. Or, place a second piece of parchment paper on top of the apple mixture and press gently to carefully spread it. Unlike with cookies, the mixture will not spread when baking, so any thinner or thicker spots will cook unevenly.
- Place in oven and cook for 3½ to 4 hours. The leather should be tacky but not wet. Remove from the oven and let rest for at least 2 hours.
- Remove and slice into strips. Enjoy as is or wrap in wax paper for storage.
Serving size: 1 2-by-17-inch strip
Calories: 63; Total Fat: 0g; Saturated Fat: 0g; Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium: 3mg; Total Carbohydrate: 16g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugars: 13g; Protein: 0g; Potassium 98mg; Phosphorus 10mg