This make-ahead dish is handy to heat up and have for a quick healthy breakfast or snack. You can add a touch more brown sugar if you like it sweeter and a splash of milk for more creaminess.
1½ cups fat-free milk or soy milk
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup egg substitute or egg whites
1 tablespoon melted trans-fat-free margarine
½ teaspoon cinnamon
2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1½ cups chopped apples
Before you begin: Wash your hands.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (176°C).
- In a small bowl mix the milk, brown sugar, egg substitute/whites, margarine and cinnamon.
- In a larger bowl combine the oats and the baking powder.
- Pour the wet mixture into the bowl with the oats; add the apples and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture into a 8-by-8-inch pan coated with cooking spray and bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until top is firm and a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
Serving size: 1 square
Calories: 160; Total fat: 3g; Saturated fat: < 1g; Sodium: 80mg; Total Carbohydrate: 30g; Dietary Fiber: 3g; Sugars: 18g; Protein 4g; Vitamin A: 248 IU; Vitamin C: 1.5 mg; Calcium: 56mg.