Brought to you by the Center for Professional Development with a special thank you to the content writers and presenters, Theresa A. Kuracina, MS, RD, CDE, LN and Andrew Narva, MD, FACP at the National Kidney Disease Education Program (NKDEP).
This module covers basic information about chronic kidney disease. We will discuss the burden of chronic kidney disease (CKD) and end-stage renal disease (ESRD) in the United States, kidney anatomy and functions, how to identify and monitor CKD using the estimated Glomerular Filtration Rate (eGFR) and urine albumin-to-creatinine ratio (UACR), and Medicare's Medical Nutrition Therapy benefit. You will use an online calculator to determine eGFR using serum creatinine, gender, age and race.
CPEU Hours: 2.5 Level: 2
Suggested Learning Need Codes: 5340, 5000, 3060, 7170
- Associate kidney function with estimated glomerular filtration rate (eGFR); and kidney damage with urine albumin-to-creatinine ratio (UACR).
- Identify UACR > 30 milligrams/gram as current definition of urine albumin level marking kidney damage.
- Use online eGFR calculator and assess kidney function based on the eGFR result.
- Assess kidney function and kidney damage, using eGFR and UACR respectively.
- Define the glomerular filtration rate that qualifies Medicare beneficiaries for medical nutrition therapy referral.
This e-learning self-study includes links to the National Kidney Disease Education Program (NKDEP) website, the NKDEP eGFR Calculator, Chronic Kidney Disease Information and additional Online Learning opportunities.
The course includes pdf files of the speaker presentations and handouts as well as a downloadable CPE certificate.
The Certificate of Training program consists of five separate modules that build on each other. To receive the certificate associated with this training, all five modules and related tests must first be completed and a subsequent final post test exam in Module 5 must be passed with a minimum of an 80% in order to receive the Certificate of Training. The Certificate of Training can then be downloaded and printed from the site.
Immediately following purchase, you will receive an access email for the module. This email contains a link which will remain active for 30 days once the link has been activated by the user.
This product is approved for individual use only. Only the registered participant is eligible for continuing professional education units.