National Nutrition Month®

How to Request a Proclamation from the Governor or Mayor


Here are the most common steps to request a proclamation from the governor or mayor; however, some states and cities may vary regarding proclamation procedures.

  1. Begin the process in December and start by locating the appropriate state or city government website.
  2. You may find a tab called "Mayor's Page" or "Governor's Page." Also look for "Ceremonial" or "Forms" on the navigation.
  3. If you do not see any of these, try using the site's Search feature with the word "proclamation."
  4. Another option is the "Contact Us" link. This area allows you to write a brief message such as:
    • How do I ask the governor to issue a proclamation declaring March 2021 National Nutrition Month®?
    • How do I ask the mayor to issue a proclamation declaring Wednesday, March 10, 2021, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day?
  5. A staff person will probably reply and email a form to complete. Email the form back for an official signature.
  6. If no form is available, use the proclamation templates for National Nutrition Month and Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day provided by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Place the proclamation on your official affiliate letterhead. Mail or email to the mayor's or governor's office along with a formal request from your state or district association.
  7. Follow up with a phone call just to be sure your request arrived.
  8. When you have confirmation that the proclamation has been signed, contact local media to suggest a news item, interview or photo with the mayor or governor and affiliate representatives.