If you are one of the millions of Americans who regularly skip breakfast, you probably think you have a reason, such as wanting to lose weight or oversleeping.
Regardless, it's important to eat breakfast in the morning. Eating breakfast helps with brain function, attention span, concentration and memory. Eating breakfast also can reduce irritability and tiredness.
If you skip breakfast hoping to lose weight, you may be sabotaging your goals. By starting the day with a balanced meal, you're less likely to overeat later in the day.
Make time for your morning meal with these simple solutions.
If You Wake Up on Time, Eat ...
- Scrambled Eggs: Serve with turkey bacon, fruit and whole-grain toast.
- Whole-Grain Waffles: If you have a waffle iron, try a whole-grain waffle mix from the grocery store for a special treat. Serve topped with fresh fruit.
If You Hit the Snooze Button One Time, Eat ...
- English Muffin Sandwich: Toast a whole-grain English muffin. Put low-fat cheese and sliced deli ham on the toasted muffin. Warm the sandwich in the microwave to melt the cheese. Grab a piece of fruit for a complete breakfast.
- Breakfast Tacos: Scramble and cook one egg (or two egg whites). Serve eggs, salsa and low-fat cheese in corn tortillas.
- Classic Cereal Gets an Upgrade: Cut up some fresh fruit and add to an unsweetened breakfast cereal.
- Yogurt Parfait: Layer yogurt with fresh or frozen fruit and granola.
If You Hit the Snooze Button Three (or More) Times, Eat ...
- Instant Oatmeal: Look for varieties without added sugar and just add boiling water.
- 45-Second Scrambled Eggs: Put eggs and a splash of milk in a bowl, whisk it up and put it in a microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and put back in for another 10 seconds.
- Peanut Butter Sandwich: Grab a banana while you're at it.
- Cream Cheese on Whole-Grain Bread: Try it on a bagel or tortillas.