This event took place on Wednesday, February 22, 2012.
Event code: 18296
CPE Hours: 2.0
CPE Level: 2
Suggested Learning Need Codes: 5125, 5410, 5370
Traditionally, bariatric patients received their nutrition guidance from the surgeon or bariatric nurse practitioner. This teleseminar will present an overview of the procedures, their impact on nutritional status and present rationale for standardizing the nutritional care of bariatric patients. Where there is no empirical data, recommendations should be based on "expert opinion" and the dietitian is the "nutrition expert."
- Explain the mechanism by which the Roux en Y Gastric Bypass, Gastric Sleeve and Gastric Band affect hunger, satiety and nutritional status.
- Identify areas of nutrition care where all dietitians working with bariatric patients can standardize their nutrition recommendations.
- Discuss standard post-op recommendations for diet stages, vitamin and mineral supplementation and evaluation and treatment of special considerations.
- Sue Cummings, MS, RD, LDN
Clinical Programs Coordinator, Massachusetts General Hospital Weight Center, Boston, MA
- Kellene A. Isom, MS, RD, LDN
Senior Bariatric Dietitian/Bariatric Program Manager, Brigham and Women's/Faulkner Hospitals, Boston, MA
Disregard the download mesage below. The recording will be a CD, which will be shipped to your address on file within 7-10 business days.