March is National Nutrition Month, when the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics reminds everyone to return to the basics of healthy eating. It is also the time of year when the Academy celebrates expertise of registered dietitian nutritionists as the food and nutrition experts.
Kids can have fun being active and eating right, and parents and caregivers can set a great example for the whole family by creating a healthy environment at home, setting kids up for a lifetime of healthy eating.
Learn more about how your family can shop smart, cook healthy and eat right this Kids Eat Right Month™.
- Move every day! Kids need 60 minutes daily of moderate to vigorous active play.
- Enjoy family meals together, an important step to improving family health and bonding.
- Get active as a family. Take a walk together after dinner, and plan fun activities every week such as a family bike ride, swimming, tennis, softball, basketball or a dance party.
- Get children involved in planning and cooking healthy meals together. When kids are involved in planning and preparing healthy meals (with age-appropriate tasks), they are more likely to try new foods, and will also have a greater understanding of nutritious, healthy foods that will benefit them for a lifetime. Try out healthy recipes from Kids Eat Right.
- To build an eating plan tailored to your family’s unique needs and lifestyle, consult a registered dietitian nutritionist in your area.
- Use this guide and template to contact your mayor or governor to request a proclamation.
- Follow Kids Eat Right on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube and Pinterest
- Blog about Kids Eat Right Month™, post the Kids Eat Right Month badge to your blog and request to be added to our blog roll. Learn more!