Reusable cloth grocery totes are convenient and environmentally friendly, but could they be making you sick?
Reduce Your Risk of Food Poisoning with These Tips from Home Food Safety:
- Place fresh or frozen raw meat, poultry and fish in separate totes from produce and ready-to-eat foods.
- Wash your grocery tote frequently in the washing machine or by hand with hot, soapy water.
- Clean all areas where you place your totes, such as kitchen counter or table, to reduce cross-contamination.
- When shopping, put meat, poultry and fish in separate plastic bags before placing in the tote. This will help prevent juices from leaking and contaminating your reusable bags and food.
- Store totes in a clean, dry location. Avoid leaving totes in the trunk of a vehicle.
Download: Grocery Tote Safety Tip Sheet.