March is National Nutrition Month, when the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics reminds everyone to return to the basics of healthy eating. It is also the time of year when the Academy celebrates expertise of registered dietitian nutritionists as the food and nutrition experts.
A trip to the sandwich shop is a quick and easy option for family mealtime. When you are looking to make healthy choices, remember it's okay to make requests. Here are a few ideas:
- Ask for the sandwich spread on the side or apply it yourself if the shop offers condiment packets.
- To cut back on the calories and fat, request low-fat, part-skim mozzarella or no cheese.
- Instead of chips, ask for a piece of fruit or a salad. The extra fiber will fill you up so you will eat less.
- Choose lean cuts of beef, ham, chicken or turkey for your sandwich.
- Load up your sandwich with vegetables, or try a vegetarian option.
- Choose whole-wheat bread or a whole-grain wrap instead of white bread.