Does your family eat fast food at least once a week? About a one-third of all consumers do and that's OK sometimes, but many fast foods deliver a lot of calories and fat and come up short on vitamins, minerals and fiber. The next time you head for the fast-food lane, try one of these seven easy ways to eat smarter.
- Downsize. For fewer calories and perhaps less fat, sugar or sodium, order regular, not supersize, portions.
- Color your sandwich! Add tomato, lettuce and peppers to your burgers, subs and deli sandwiches.
- Mind your buns. Order your sandwich with whole-wheat bread or buns if you can.
- Trim the trimmings. Go easy on creamy spreads, such as mayo, tartar sauce and special sauce. Go for ketchup, mustard or barbecue sauce instead.
- Stay "side" wise. Split a small order of fries or onion rings. Order a salad (light on dressing) instead; go for slaw or fruit.
- Sip smart. Pick your beverage for better nutrition — milk for a calcium boost or juice instead of soda.
- Look for options. Try wraps or stir-fry bowls instead.