Eating a variety of nutrient-rich foods to give your body the nutrition it needs every day will help protect against illness and reduce your risk of chronic disease.
By choosing nutrient-rich foods that provide the most nutrients per calorie, you can build a healthier life and start down a path of health and wellness. Small steps can help you create healthy habits that will benefit your health now and for the rest of your life:
- Start each day with a healthy breakfast that includes whole grains and calcium-, vitamin D- and vitamin C-rich foods.
- Replace refined grains with whole grains like whole-grain breads and cereals and brown rice.
- Pre-washed salad greens and pre-cut vegetables make great quick meals or snacks.
- Choose fresh, frozen or canned (without added sugar) fruit for snacks and desserts.
- Don’t forget beans, which are rich in fiber, folate and flavanoids.
Learn more about the vitamins and nutrients that are essential to a healthful eating plan: