March is National Nutrition Month, when the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics reminds everyone to return to the basics of healthy eating. It is also the time of year when the Academy celebrates expertise of registered dietitian nutritionists as the food and nutrition experts.
Eating a variety of nutrient-rich foods to give your body the nutrition it needs every day will help protect against illness and reduce your risk of chronic disease.
By choosing nutrient-rich foods that provide the most nutrients per calorie, you can build a healthier life and start down a path of health and wellness. Small steps can help you create healthy habits that will benefit your health now and for the rest of your life:
- Start each day with a healthy breakfast that includes whole grains and calcium-, vitamin D- and vitamin C-rich foods.
- Replace refined grains with whole grains like whole-grain breads and cereals and brown rice.
- Pre-washed salad greens and pre-cut vegetables make great quick meals or snacks.
- Choose fresh, frozen or canned (without added sugar) fruit for snacks and desserts.
- Don’t forget beans, which are rich in fiber, folate and flavanoids.
Learn more about the vitamins and nutrients that are essential to a healthful eating plan: