National Nutrition Month® 2016 Key Messages
National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign created annually in March by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign focuses attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
The theme for 2016 is "Savor the Flavor of Eating Right," which encourages everyone to take time to enjoy food traditions and appreciate the pleasures, great flavors and social experiences food can add to our lives.
- How, when, why and where we eat are just as important as what we eat. Making sure to enjoy the sight, sounds, memories and interactions associated with eating are essential to developing an overall healthy eating plan.
- Develop a mindful eating pattern that includes nutritious and flavorful foods, while also taking the time to enjoy everything that a healthful and tasty meal brings with it. That's the best way to savor the flavor of eating right!
- It is possible to enjoy the taste and flavor of food while still maintaining a healthy diet. Take time to enjoy food traditions and find creative, healthful and nutritious ways to add flavor to food. An eating pattern based on the 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines and MyPlate recommendations can accommodate the food preferences, cultural tradition and customs of many diverse groups.
- A registered dietitian nutritionist can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
Request a Proclamation
Good Nutrition Reading List
The consumer market overflows with publications on nutrition, fitness and health. The publications listed here represent resources covering a broad range of nutrition and health topics and provide reliable, timely nutrition information for personal, school, library and community use. Most are available at local libraries and bookstores.
This guide identifies and describes books and websites that provide timely and scientifically-based nutrition information you can trust.
*This is not a comprehensive list and inclusion does not represent endorsement by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics or its Foundation.
- Half Page Ad (PDF)
- Cover Image (JPG)
- Web Banner - 160x600 (JPG)
- Web Banner - 300x250 (JPG)
- Web Banner - 728x90 (JPG)
Social Media and Messaging
We welcome and encourage you to share our National Nutrition Month® press releases with your local media and through your blogs and websites. These releases must be repurposed in their entirety and without altering the content in any way.
Public Service Announcements
We have recorded public service announcements for your use. They are available at three different recording lengths (30 seconds, 45 seconds, and 60 seconds), each with a version with and without music. In addition, a script for each recording length is available.