National Nutrition Month® 2017
National Nutrition Month® is a nutrition education and information campaign created annually in March by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. The campaign focuses attention on the importance of making informed food choices and developing sound eating and physical activity habits.
The theme for 2017 is "Put Your Best Fork Forward", which acts as a reminder that each bite counts. Making just small shifts in our food choices, can add up over time. The 2015-2020 Dietary Guidelines for Americans suggest starting with small changes in order to make healthier lasting changes you can enjoy. Next year's theme for National Nutrition Month® inspires us to start with small changes in our eating habits – one forkful at a time. So whether you are planning meals to prepare at home or making selections when eating out, Put Your Best Fork Forward to help find your healthy eating style.
- Create an eating style that includes a variety of your favorite, healthful foods.
- Practice cooking more at home and experiment with healthier ingredients.
- How much we eat is as important as what we eat. Eat and drink the right amount for you, as MyPlate encourages us to do.
- Find activities that you enjoy and be physically active most days of the week.
- Manage your weight or lower your health risks by consulting a registered dietitian nutritionist. RDNs can provide sound, easy-to-follow personalized nutrition advice to meet your lifestyle, preferences and health-related needs.
Request a Proclamation
Good Nutrition Reading List
The consumer market overflows with publications on nutrition, fitness and health. The publications listed here represent resources covering a broad range of nutrition and health topics and provide reliable, timely nutrition information for personal, school, library and community use. Most are available at local libraries and bookstores.
This guide identifies and describes books and websites that provide timely and scientifically-based nutrition information you can trust.
*This is not a comprehensive list and inclusion does not represent endorsement by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics or its Foundation.
Social Media and Messaging
We welcome and encourage you to share our National Nutrition Month® press releases with your local media and through your blogs and websites. These releases must be re-purposed in their entirety and without altering the content in any way.
Public Service Announcements
We have recorded public service announcements for your use. They are available at three different recording lengths (30 seconds, 45 seconds, and 60 seconds), each with a version with and without music. In addition, a script for each recording length is available.