In 2017, the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics celebrates Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day on Wednesday, March 8. As the nation's food and nutrition experts, registered dietitian nutritionists are committed to improving the health of their patients and community.
First celebrated in 2008, Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day commemorates the dedication of RDNs as advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world. Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day was created by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics to increase the awareness of registered dietitian nutritionists as the indispensable providers of food and nutrition services and to recognize RDNs for their commitment to helping people enjoy healthy lives. Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day and National Nutrition Month® promote the Academy and RDNs to the public and the media as the most valuable and credible source of timely, scientifically-based food and nutrition information.
Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day Key Messages
The following key messages are the foundation for communications regarding Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day which are developed for various audiences including health professionals, employers of RDNs, media and the public.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists are the food and nutrition experts who can translate the science of nutrition into practical solutions for healthy living.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists have degrees in nutrition, dietetics, public health or a related field from well-respected, accredited colleges and universities, completed an internship and passed an examination.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists use their nutrition expertise to help individuals make unique, positive lifestyle changes.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists work throughout the community in hospitals, schools, public health clinics, nursing homes, fitness centers, food management, food industry, universities, research and private practice.
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionists are advocates for advancing the nutritional status of Americans and people around the world.
Ideas to Recognize RDNs in Your Organization and Community
- Registered Dietitian Nutritionist Day Event Ideas
- Use Newsletters and Flyers to Promote the Expertise of RDN
- Participate in the RDN Day Contest
- Request a Proclamation from the Governor or Mayor
RDN Day Sponsor
The Academy's mission is to promote optimal nutrition and well-being for all people by advocating for its members. With 75,000 members, the Academy is the world's largest organization of food and nutrition professionals. The majority of Academy members are registered dietitian nutritionists and dietetic technicians, registered.
Service Mark: National Nutrition Month® is the property of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Its use is encouraged, but only in accordance with published guidelines. Unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.