March is National Nutrition Month, when the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics reminds everyone to return to the basics of healthy eating. It is also the time of year when the Academy celebrates expertise of registered dietitian nutritionists as the food and nutrition experts.
Breakfast gives you energy to start the day. A healthy breakfast is important for everyone. Get the morning nutrition you need with these quick breakfast ideas.
- Make instant oatmeal with fat-free or low-fat milk instead of water. Toss in raisins or dried cranberries and chopped walnuts.
- Layer fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt with your favorite crunchy cereal and blueberries.
- Blend a breakfast smoothie with low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana.
- Make one packet of microwave oatmeal with fat-free or low-fat milk. Mix in ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce. Sprinkle with apple pie spice or cinnamon.
- Top a toaster waffle with fat-free or low-fat yogurt and peach slices.
- Stuff a whole-wheat pita with a sliced, hard-cooked egg and low-fat shredded cheese.
- Spread a flour tortilla with peanut butter. Add a whole banana and roll it up.
- Spread low-fat cream cheese on a whole-grain toasted bagel. Top with sliced strawberries.
- Add lean ham and low-fat Swiss cheese to a toasted whole-grain English muffin.
If your taste buds just don't crave breakfast foods, try these:
- Peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole-grain bread.
- Leftover veggie pizza.
- Deli turkey, a slice of low-fat cheese and lettuce wrapped in a tortilla.
- Leftover rice mixed with low-fat yogurt, dried fruit and nuts. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
¾ cup wheat and barley nugget cereal
¼ cup 100-percent bran cereal
2 teaspoons toasted sunflower seeds
2 teaspoons toasted almonds, sliced
1 tablespoon raisins
½ cup bananas, sliced
1 cup strawberries, sliced
1 cup raspberry or strawberry flavored low-fat yogurt
- Mix the wheat and barley nugget cereal, bran cereal, sunflower seeds and almonds in a medium bowl. Add raisins, bananas and half of the strawberries.
- Gently stir in the yogurt and divide between two bowls.
- Scatter the remaining strawberries over the top and enjoy!
Calories: 352; Total fat: 6g; Saturated fat: 1g; Carbohydrate: 69g; Sodium: 272mg; Fiber: 8g