Breakfast gives you energy to start the day. A healthy breakfast is important for everyone. Get the morning nutrition you need with these quick breakfast ideas.
- Make instant oatmeal with fat-free or low-fat milk instead of water. Toss in raisins or dried cranberries and chopped walnuts.
- Layer fat-free or low-fat plain yogurt with your favorite crunchy cereal and blueberries.
- Blend a breakfast smoothie with low-fat milk, frozen strawberries and a banana.
- Make one packet of microwave oatmeal with fat-free or low-fat milk. Mix in ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce. Sprinkle with apple pie spice or cinnamon.
- Top a toaster waffle with fat-free or low-fat yogurt and peach slices.
- Stuff a whole-wheat pita with a sliced, hard-cooked egg and low-fat shredded cheese.
- Spread a flour tortilla with peanut butter. Add a whole banana and roll it up.
- Spread low-fat cream cheese on a whole-grain toasted bagel. Top with sliced strawberries.
- Add lean ham and low-fat Swiss cheese to a toasted whole-grain English muffin.
If your taste buds just don't crave breakfast foods, try these:
- Peanut butter and banana sandwich on whole-grain bread.
- Leftover veggie pizza.
- Deli turkey, a slice of low-fat cheese and lettuce wrapped in a tortilla.
- Leftover rice mixed with low-fat yogurt, dried fruit and nuts. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
¾ cup wheat and barley nugget cereal
¼ cup 100-percent bran cereal
2 teaspoons toasted sunflower seeds
2 teaspoons toasted almonds, sliced
1 tablespoon raisins
½ cup bananas, sliced
1 cup strawberries, sliced
1 cup raspberry or strawberry flavored low-fat yogurt
- Mix the wheat and barley nugget cereal, bran cereal, sunflower seeds and almonds in a medium bowl. Add raisins, bananas and half of the strawberries.
- Gently stir in the yogurt and divide between two bowls.
- Scatter the remaining strawberries over the top and enjoy!
Calories: 352; Total fat: 6g; Saturated fat: 1g; Carbohydrate: 69g; Sodium: 272mg; Fiber: 8g