March is National Nutrition Month, when the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics reminds everyone to return to the basics of healthy eating. It is also the time of year when the Academy celebrates expertise of registered dietitian nutritionists as the food and nutrition experts.
With on-hand ingredients — vanilla yogurt, cold cereal, bananas and a drizzle of sweetened condensed milk — this parfait is easy, healthy and great for breakfast or dessert.
2 cups low fat vanilla yogurt
2 large bananas, sliced
1 cup chocolate-flavored cereal
4 tablespoons sweetened condensed milk
- Layer 2 tablespoons of yogurt into the bottom each of four 8-ounce clear glasses.
- Top yogurt with 2 tablespoons of sliced bananas and 1 tablespoon of chocolate-flavored cereal.
- Repeat layers until yogurt, bananas and cereals are used up.
- Drizzle each parfait with 1 tablespoon of sweetened condensed milk. Serve immediately.
- This parfait goes great with dulce de leche instead of sweetened condensed milk. If you don't have dulce de leche, you can make it at home! Just submerge a can of sweetened condensed milk (label removed) into boiling water and let it simmer for 2 hours. Make sure that the can is covered with water at all times while it simmers and let it cool completely before you open it.
Serving size: 1 cup
Calories: 260; Total fat: 4g; Saturated fat: 2g; Cholesterol: 13mg; Sodium: 156mg; Carbohydrates: 50g; Fiber: 2g; Sugars: 39g; Protein: 9g; Potassium: 608mg; Phosphorus: 249mg