Cupcakes for breakfast? Yes, if they have zucchini! This breakfast treat will be sure to get the whole family up and energized to start their day.
Ingredients1 cup grated zucchini
1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
½ cup agave nectar, divided
¼ cup brown sugar
1 cup whole-wheat flour
½ cup all-purpose, unbleached flour
¼ cup flaxseed, ground
½ teaspoon baking powder, low sodium
1 teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
½ teaspoon ginger, ground
¼ teaspoon cloves, ground
¼ teaspoon nutmeg, grated
½ cup cocoa, unsweetened
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line muffin cups with paper liners.
- Put grated zucchini in paper towels and squeeze out as much water as possible. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, add applesauce, vanilla extract, ¼ cup agave and mix thoroughly.
- Add flours, baking soda, baking powder, flaxseed, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and other spices, and mix well. Add cocoa and mix thoroughly.
- Add zucchini mixture and stir thoroughly.
- Fill paper liners with chocolate zucchini batter to ¾ full. Bake for approximately 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of cupcake.
- Mix ¼ cup agave with ½ teaspoon cinnamon in small bowl. Before serving, drizzle agave mixture over cupcakes as icing and enjoy!
Serving size: 1 cupcake
Calories: 150; Total fat: 1.5g; Saturated fat: 0g; Trans fat: 0g; Cholesterol: 0mg; Sodium: 105mg; Total carbohydrate: 31g; Dietary fiber: 3g; Sugars 17g; Protein: 3g; Vitamin C: 4%; Calcium: 2%; Iron: 8%