March is National Nutrition Month, when the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics reminds everyone to return to the basics of healthy eating. It is also the time of year when the Academy celebrates expertise of registered dietitian nutritionists as the food and nutrition experts.
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium yellow onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup short grain brown rice, dry
2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
1 teaspoon fresh rosemary
3 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
¼ teaspoon saffron
1 pound shrimp, raw
½ cup grated Parmesan, divided
- In a large saucepan, heat oil and sauté onion and garlic. Add rice and cook quickly for 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Add ½ cup vegetable broth, rosemary, parsley and saffron. Stir well, cover and gently simmer.
- Add another ½ cup of broth as liquid is absorbed. Continue with remaining broth until it's all used. Rice should be tender after cooking for about 30 minutes).
- While waiting for the rice to cook, bring one quart of water to a boil. Cook shrimp until pink. Drain and reserve.
- Just before the rice is done, add ¼ cup cheese. When cheese is melted through, remove from heat. Add cooked shrimp to rice. Toss until combined.
- Top with remaining cheese and serve.
Serving size: 1 cup
Calories: 300; Total Fat: 9g: Saturated Fat 2g; Trans Fat 0g; Cholesterol: 120mg; Sodium: 330mg; Total Carbohydrate: 29g; Dietary Fiber: 2g; Sugars: 1g; Protein: 22g;