When money is tight and time is short, it may seem difficult to maintain a healthful diet. But mealtime doesn't have to be costly, complicated, or low in nutrients — eating right can be affordable, convenient and nutritious with a small amount of advanced planning. Simple concepts such as portion control, choosing frozen or canned produce, and safely handling and storing leftovers can stretch any food budget.
Consumers also can support local and sustainable food systems. Shopping at local farmers markets, encouraging and participating in community-supported gardens, and advocating for policies that improve access to healthy foods help ensure children are able to eat right continuously through adulthood — passing these same opportunities on to their children.
Below are resources to help you eat healthfully and sustainably while also staying within your grocery budget.
Be Budget Friendly
- 10 Tips for Eating Right Affordably
- 17 Money-Saving Grocery Shopping Tips
- 7 Ways to Shop Healthy on a Budget
- 5 Ways to Stretch Your Dollar at the Grocery Store
- Sustainable Eating
- Savvy Shopping Tips for the Farmers Market
- 6 Tips to Lighten Your Carbon Foodprint